Monday, December 14, 2009

Eighty Nine: Golf Without Woods

Back on April 2, 2007, I voiced my long-held belief that Tiger Woods has not been good for the game of golf. Not that he has been necessarily bad for the game, but the nauseating hero-worship by the media of this golfing great to the detriment of the other players and the game itself has been just that - nauseating.

Now we see that while heroic (and often completely devoid of any gentlemanly qualities) on the course, Mr. Woods is a serial adulterer, a woman abuser, a liar, a cheat, and as my 94 year old Aunt Helen refers to him, scum. My Aunt Helen by the way, has been a golf devotee for about 75 years. While she no longer plays, she still watches, knows the players, and enjoys the game.

Of course I wish no ill will to Mr. Woods or his family. But I will soooooo look forward to golf without him, or rather without media circus which follows him. Actually I rather like watching him play, at least when he's not acting immature.

Maybe the interesting dynamic to watch will be whether Woods handles his personal challenges better than, say, David Duval.

No comments: