Monday, February 16, 2009

Sixty: Throwing In The Towel

All these years, I have clung to the core belief that ordinary people are essentially intelligent and decent creatures, and therefore know best how to allocate and spend their respective resources. This belief is espoused to varying degrees by Libertarians, Independents, and Republicans. Then there are Democrats, who believe that ordinary people (i.e., those not elected to public office) are ignorant, self-destructive, and unable to make even the most basic and simple decisions without the guiding hand of government to help the poor dolts.

I now freely admit that my core belief about people has been wrong. The Democrats are right. People are as dumb as posts. And on top of that, people even know they're stupid, and so gladly accept government handout after government handout, each handout coming with the inevitable quid pro quo, and dashing what little bits of independence and free will remain untouched by government.

Since coming to my senses and realizing that we citizens would fall into an absolute stupor without our government masters, I can now understand that even when Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd all lie through their teeth and tell us how much they cherish the Constitution and its principals, wen in fact they are turning the Bill of Rights into dust, they are doing it for my own good. I am just too simple minded to understand how lucky I am to have such benevolent government minders.

As the saying goes, "ignorance is bliss."

No comments: