Friday, October 23, 2015

194: I Was A Chicago Cubs Fan For Two Weeks

I was born in Chicago in 1952.  I have lived in the Chicago area on and off for 49 of my 62 years.  This year, after the Cubs won 97 games in the regular season, I decided to become a fan.  Having observed the Cubs (and Cubs fans) for the previous 63 years, it was clear that both the team and the fans were incorrigible losers.  So when the Cubs beat the Pirates in the one game do or die wild card playoff, I decided to get on the band wagon.  What a glorious 14 days!  The Lovable Losers went on to handle the sturdy Cardinals.  Then REALTY set in.  Losing four straight to the Mets proved the "once a loser, always a loser." Watching the Cubs crumble was truly painful.  How do the fans do it year after decade after century?

The thing of it is, I know many Cubs fans who are really smart.  Investments bankers, medical doctors, and George Will.  Most Cubs fans are smart enough to have never voted for BO.  But they can't shake the inevitable fate of the Cubs.  RIP Cubs and Cubs fans.

No comments: