Thursday, October 29, 2009

Eighty Three: The New MOT

Over the past 15 years I have sued MOT a few times, and negotiated many exit packages for MOT employees. In that same time period, I have dealt with probably 25% of the Fortune 500 doing similar deals. I must say that when it comes to handing out cash, MOT is one sweet target. MOT also always had (and probably still has) more human deadwood than any other firm I've ever come across. One of the problems at MOT is the terminal influence on corporate culture by HR. I mention all of this as a kind of reinforcement for my urge to short MOT during its temporary uptrend with the Droid announcement. And it will be temporary, because nothing, and I mean nothing, can turn around the decades of terminal decisions made at MOT, to wit:

allowing Nokia to get the original AT&T Wireless business
putting HR in charge of corporate culture
having a CTO who was stone deaf to technology trends (Padmasree)
being unable or unwilling to recognize the corporate arrogance within the company
refusing to give customers what they want

All the technology in the world, and MOT has mountains of it, cannot stop the downhill slide at MOT. It's just a matter of time.

No comments: